Prince of Peace began in 1958 when the Mission Board of the Michigan District of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod called the Rev. Carl E. Mehl to establish a congregation in the Farmington area. The first meeting of this "Kendallwood Lutheran Mission" was held at Wooddale Elementary School.
Our first service was held on Palm Sunday 1958. The name, Prince of Peace, from Isaiah 9:6, was chosen on April 1 of this same year. On November 23, 1958, the new congregation held a groundbreaking ceremony, and construction of the first phase of our current church home began.
On April 19, 1959, Pastor Carl Mehl was formally installed as the called Pastor of Prince of Peace Lutheran Church. Shortly afterwards in May, the cornerstone of our new church was laid. During this spring, Prince of Peace welcomed our first Confirmation class of young people, accepted into membership.
At the Michigan District Convention held in August 1960, Mr. Edward Thoms, our representative, signed the District Constitution in the name of Prince of Peace, and our work as a church family officially began.
Prince of Peace has continued to grow over the last 45 years. Today, it is a church home to a family of believers who are active, dynamic, and hungry to learn more about their faith and God's blessings.